Available Biographies of California Natives At Carlisle

Biographies from Cumberland County Historical Society unless otherwise noted
Elmer Busch was full-blooded Pomo who came to the Carlisle Indian School October 10, 1910 at the age of 20. His parents, Jack and Maggie, lived in Potter Valley, California. One of four siblings, Elmer had two brothers and a sister at the time of his enrollment. He was a big man, weighing in at 192 lbs, height: 70". Before coming to Carlisle, Busch had been schooled at the Potter Valley Indian School (1897-1902) and the Sherman Institute in Riverside (1907-1910). He left Carlisle in June of 1913, but re-enrolled in September the same year. He was a football player, and during Outing, he worked for George Van Horn in Robbinsville, PA for two months. After leaving the Carlisle School in April 1915 (age 25), he worked in the boiler department of the AT and SF railroad in San Bernadino. That was from 1915 - 1917. He also coached football at Riverside 1916-1917.
Pedro "Pete" Calac came to the Carlisle Indian School November 16, 1908. The son of Fransisco and Felicidad Molino Calac, he was brought to the school from Fall Brook, California at the age of 15. Weighing 117 llbs with a height of 68" at the time of his arrival, Calac entered grade 3 after 36 months of previous schooling at the Rincon Day School (1899-1903) and the Fallbrook District School (1903-1904). Two of Pete's brothers had died of typhoid fever and he had a brother and two sisters living in 1908. Calac left the Carlisle Indian School in June 1911 for home in Fallbrook. He asked to return to Carlisle and was re-enrolled September 22, 1912. There is a great deal of correspondance in his student file at the National Archives, and there are references to him in the Carlisle Indian School newspapers during the years he played football at the school. In 1915, he was captain of the team. After being accepted into the Ford Motor Company's training program in Detroit, Michigan in 1915 Calac worked for Ford until November 11, 1916. About 50 Carlisle boys participated in this program. According to his obituary, Pete Calac passed on January 30, 1960.
(more Pedro Calac) Barb Landis recently found the following in the scrapbook of a friend to the great Indian School sports heroes. "He's very willing to share his stories about the athletes and has given me permission to pass along information from his private collections. The man, James "Muck" Wardecker knew Pete Calac, and many of the other football players from the great 1911/1912 teams. They used to buy their clothing in his store in town. After the school closed, they always visited Mr. Wardecker's store to catch up on the latest gossip. " from a local Carlisle newspaper clipping found in James Wardecker's scrapbook: PETE CALAC, ONE-TIME ACE OF CARLISLE INDIANS GRID TEAM, REVISITS CARLISLE ...Pete, a Mission Indian, was born on a reservation and attended grammar school in nearby Fallbrook, CA. While there, he and Philip Wellmas, who was to be a guard for the Carlisle Indian gridders, and two girls were selected to attend the Carlisle school. "We came East on the Union Pacific," Pete recalled. "When we got to Carson City, Nev., Philip said, 'Pete, I don't want to go East: let's run away!' I talked him out of that. At Chicago, people crowded around to look at us. I couldn't get out of there fast enough." After attending West Virginia Wesleyan, Pete returned to California for a visit with his people and enlisted in the army, serving with the 91st Division, known as the "Wild West Division," in France and Belgium during WWII. He returned without a wound --"I guess I dug in too much," he quipped. Pete and his wife have been married since 1924. They have a son, 2 daughters and 7 grandchildren. Their son is following in Pete's footsteps -- he played high school football in Canton and has been on the police force for the past four years. THE SENTINEL n.d.
Leonidas Chawa was full-blood Mission, the daughter of Adalfo Chawa. Both parents were living at the time of Leonidas' arrival to Carlisle March 7, 1899 from San Luisenos, at the age of 15. She was only a student at the school a little over three months before she passed away June 24. She is buried in Indian Cemetery at the Carlisle Barracks.
Caroline Helm(s) ( from File 1328 and File 1329) Caroline is listed as 1/2 Mission Indian from San Luisenos Mission in California. At the time of her enrollment, her father was deceased and her mother was living. No names were given for her parents. She was 16 when she arrived at Carlisle on March 7 1899. She weighed 148lbs and was 65" tall. She remained at Carlisle until May of 1905, although she was a graduate in the class of 1904. There is a photograph of her in the Choate photo album collection of the Cumberland County Historical Society. She may be included in the class photo for 1904. Caroline was probably enrolled at the Bloomsburg State Normal School, Bloomsburg, PA in 1904-05, receiving her teacher training. While at Carlisle, she lived in a number of homes, working as a domestic and attending local public schools.
Antoine Lubo, the son of Cornelius Lubo, was a full-blood Mission Indian. He arrived at the Carlisle Indian School June 6, 1898 at the age of 19. During this period, Lubo spent one year in the Outing Program. He graduated with the class of 1908 and in 1913 was living in Minoa, NY. By Spring of 1914, he lived in Syracuse, NY. His address in 1915 was given in care of Art Northrup, in Syracuse.